[gst-devel] Gstreamer RTSP server has 2 second delay to live stream

ScreenName01 lwhlee at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 23:19:55 CEST 2009

Hi gstreamerians,

I'm currently using RTSP server version 0.10.1 from the link below.

  http://people.freedesktop.org/~wtay/

In addition I'm using the latest tarball releases for gstreamer, base
plugins, bad plugins and good plugins.

I'm streaming live from a v4l2 source from a camera sensor.

The sources output goes through a hardware VPU which encodes each frame
based on the codec-type I pass into it.  This is the line I use with the
Gstreamer RTSP server.

"( v4l2source ! vpuencoder codec-type=h264 ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )"

It streams fine to VLC for instance.  No luck with quicktime and smplayer on
Windows will display the first frame and then just die.  This is not a major
concern though I am more concerned about the delay.  Any help there is also
great though. ;)

I tried to send the same stream above through a tcpserversink.  So something
like:

v4l2source ! vpuencoder codec-type=h264 ! tcpserversink port=5000

and connected to it through a gstreamer client (or whatever you'd like to
use) to see where the latency lies.  At this point I was seeing a much
smaller delay.  Maybe 50% to 75% improvement (so 1/2 second to a second
delay).

Which leads me to believe that it's something to either do with vlc,
Gstreamer RTSP server or RTSP/RTP/RTP manager portion of Gstreamer
libraries/plugins.

Anyone have any ideas where to look first or how I can more easily narrow
down the problem.  Any help is appreciated.

One thing I tried is reducing all the default latencies in RTP manager.
That seemed to make little to no difference.

Thanks in advance!  Willing to take any advice possible.