[gst-devel] appsrc, random crash

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 10:24:15 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 09:47 +0200, Jan Martinek wrote:

> It works, but after some time it crashes without any warning. Is there a
> possibility to turn on some debugging messages?
>
> I don't know what to suspect. Timings? Is GTK slow and some callback
> takes too much time? Or, data computation takes too long time?
> When 'need-data' signal is emitted, how much time do I have to generate
> new buffer before whole application crashes?

You can set the GST_DEBUG environment variable to get debugging
messages, but that's unlikely to help much. A crash is almost always a
bug; a gdb stack trace of the crash would be a good start to get to the
bottom of this. You have as much time as you want for supplying a new
buffer to appsrc, but if you supply it too late you may stall the
pipeline temporarily or your buffer may be dropped because it's too late
or somesuch. It should never crash just because you didn't do something
fast enough.

 Cheers
  -Tim