[gst-devel] Is it possible to send signals from application to plugin.

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 10:22:12 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 00:49 -0800, raju03e wrote:

> I am a newbee to gstreamer. I am trying to explore about signals.
> I have a query, Is it possible to send signals from application to plugin.

Sure, the most common methods of app -> element communication are:

1. g_object_{set|get}

2. g_signal_emit_by_name() (ie. action properties)

3. make the element implement an interface (see e.g. GstUriHandler or
GstXOverlay)

4. you can gst_element_send_event (element/pipeline, ...) a custom
event.

5. if the element/plugin is a static plugin and not an installed .so you
can just add API for it and use that.

 Cheers
  -Tim