[gst-devel] D-Bus controller GStreamer daemon

Todd Fischer todd.fischer at ridgerun.com
Fri Dec 11 00:08:02 CET 2009

Hi,

Question:  Who do I ask to get permission to use a D-Bus name containing
"org.freedesktop.gstreamer"?

We have started work on a GStreamer daemon
(http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/harrier) that is controlled via
D-Bus messages.  Does anyone know of other work done in this area?

Background:

We call the GStreamer daemon gstd.  We have a command line utility, call
gst-client that can interact with gstd.  For example,

    gst-client create "videotestsrc pattern=0 ! warptv !
ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink"

The create option returns an ID for the created pipeline - in this case
it will be ID 0.  gstd allows multiple pipelines to exist at the same
time.

Now we can start the stream playing:

    gst-client play --id=0

Once it is playing, we can dynamically set element properties, such as
change the pattern generated by videotestsrc

  gst-client set --id=0  videotestsrc pattern

We modeled gst-client after gst-launch, with the ability to dynamically
set element properties.

gst-client is just an example program showing how to use gstd.  We will
interact with gstd with GUI applications and web servers.

Since we are using D-Bus, we need to have a bus name and corresponding
object path.  I would like to use

D-Bus name: org.freedesktop.gstreamer.gstd

D-Bus object path: /org/freedesktop/gstreamer/gstd

Note: this approach is similar to the one followed by (the apparently
defunct) Gstreamer On-Demand
(http://static.fi/~zeenix/repos/god/spec.html)

Todd