[gst-devel] D-Bus controller GStreamer daemon

Todd Fischer todd.fischer at ridgerun.com
Fri Dec 11 04:08:04 CET 2009

On  Fri, 11 Dec 2009 00:17:49 +0000 Tim-Philipp M?ller wrote:

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 16:08 -0700, Todd Fischer wrote:

Hi,

> Since we are using D-Bus, we need to have a bus name and corresponding
> object path.  I would like to use
>
> D-Bus name: org.freedesktop.gstreamer.gstd
> D-Bus object path: /org/freedesktop/gstreamer/gstd

This is quite a generic part of the namespace you're planning on taking
over here ('gstd' in the GStreamer domain).

Any reason not to use e.g. /net/sourceforge/harrier/gstd
or /com/ridgerun/harrier/gstd or somesuch?

As I see it, what you're exposing is basically an API of some sort, and
just like we wouldn't be keen on seeing third party libraries expose API
in the GStreamer namespace (not to mention use our domain as origin of
some sort), I don't think we'd be keen on this for a dbus-based
interface either.

But maybe that's just me.

 Cheers
  -Tim

Tim,

I am trying to take of the world, one name space at a time.

/com/ridgerun/gstreamer/gstd is fine with me - great advertising.  If
for some reason gstd gets wider adoption, then I will vote against
changing it for compatibility reasons.  Since we don't have any
deployment yet, I figured it was a good time to ask.

Todd