[gst-devel] gstreamer in a non-multimedia area?

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Dec 30 15:36:37 CET 2009

hi,

Am 29.12.2009 18:18, schrieb Leonardo Sandoval:
> Hi,
>
> In the past, I worked in a project which consists of joining together several numerical codes (codes which solve some particular physic problem, like stars gravity or star mass evolution) in a single one, but this turned to be a very difficult problem due to different language/technologies.
>
> Recently, I moved to the multimedia field using gstreamer and seems  to be an excellent and natural 'glue' to put several things together under a single framework. Before I can dig deeper on this, I have a simple question: in the case of galaxy dynamics, we are not talking about frames but 'snapshots', where each snapshot contains the information of each star inside a galaxy (mass, position, velocity, gas composition, etc.), i.e. the state  of the galaxy at some time.
>
> I know that gstreamer does not care about the kind of data flowing, I just want to know if gstreamer has been used in other fields  rather than multimedia and if yes, which has been the experienced with this technology.

I am quite sure it can be done. WHat I wonder is how gstreamer might help you.
For multimedia it gives you data flow synchronisation and format negotiation
(and other things). I am not sure you would need those. What would be left is
the plugin framework and some developments support.

> Happy new year!

Same to you.

Stefan