[gst-devel] ffmux_mpeg output has severe syntax errors

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:34:30 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 10:34 -0800, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Bob Forsman <thoth at purplefrog.com> wrote:
> >  Should I be at all surprised that the ffmux_mpeg generates what seems to be garbage?
>
> Probably not. The ffmpeg muxers are generally of low quality to begin
> with. The gst-ffmpeg wrapper may also have problems that make it even
> worse.

  As a side note, I am (and will be) spending some time making sure the
gst-ffmpeg wrapper code for (de)muxers improves. The ffmpeg team have
actually put in a lot of effort over the past 6-12 months to make
libavformat friendler to use and we can already see the benefits (like
push-based support for demuxers working properly).

  That does not go against the recommendation below to use 'native'
gstreamer (de)muxers whenever available, but improving the current
gst-ffmpeg situation will be mutually beneficial to both GStreamer and
FFmpeg.

   Edward

P.S. Oh, did you know FFmpeg are going to do a release (scheduled for
around the 21st of Feb) ? I kid you not !