[gst-devel] Required GLib version policy

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Feb 20 18:50:22 CET 2009

> Put differently (in good advocatus diaboli spirit): why should we/I care
> about something that inconveniences you / a small fraction of our end
> user base, but doesn't really pose any problems for you that can't be
> overcome? When it could make my/our life easier?

It's a chicken and egg problem.  Why is that user base small ? Because
you make it hard for them to be big.

If you apply this reasoning, why are you allowing the inconvencience of
changes made to support Windows and MacOSX ? Our user base is much
smaller there than on Linux.

You're assuming the problems can't be overcome, and it's about as valid
as them assuming your compatibility problems can't be overcome.

Thread fixes are a strawman - we've had thread problems with pretty much
every GLib series we've used, so you're going to be able to pull that
one out basically forever :)

I think you should just evaluate on a case-by-case basis.  Only when you
have a good enough argument to upgrade to glib (the cost of not
upgrading outweighing the benefit) should you do it.

Upgrading the requirements for the sake of upgrading as a standard
practice sounds like the cart before the horse.

Thomas

--
And the awful weight
spread across me when I wake