[gst-devel] otem-gstreamer-video-thumbnailer sometimes fails to generate the thumbnail of ASF file

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Jan 6 14:33:34 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 15:20 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> hi,
>
> Lin Raffel schrieb:
> > I found totem-gstreamer-video-thumbnailer sometimes fails to generate
> > the thumbnail of ASF file,
> > the output message is.
> >
> > Reason: Took too much time to process.
> >
> > Is this the problem with the ASF file itself ?
>
> Its also happens with AVI files for me. IMHO its because for most files demuxers
> always scan the index and if that files has a very finegrained index it takes
> long. Its fixable, but requires quite some work.

As Stefan mentioned, it usually happens with broken files.

You can use the "--no-limit" command-line option, but right now the
thumbnailer limits itself to using 30 seconds of wall-clock time at the
maximum, so as to avoid hanging indefinitely.

If the file isn't broken,  and plays straight away in Totem, you might
have found a bug though.

Cheers