[gst-devel] appsrc and appsink elements

Andres Colubri andres.colubri at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 16:33:44 CET 2009

>> I've been struggling for a while with the appsrc element, and I wonder
>> if anyone has any ideas about this. Basically, I'm trying to capture the
>> contents of the screen into a video file. I'm not sure how to construct
>> the pipeline to do it. I know that it has to start with an appsrc and
>> end at a filesink, but I don't know how to initialize the appsrc (caps,
>> max-bytes, etc) and what other intermediate elements are needed
>> (encoders, demuxers). I looked at the examples that come with the source
>> of appsrc, but these are for different scenarios (reading data from a
>> file, streaming).
>>

> Appsrc is for injecting data from applications. Appsrc & appsink allow to
> integrate gstreamer into a mulimedia application that uses a diffrent framework
> already.
> For screencapture you could use ximagesrc at the start of your pipeline.

Thanks for your answer, Stefan. I realize that I didn't specify my
problem very clearly, because even though the end result of the pipeline
consists in capturing the content of the application window (not the
whole screen), I need a solution that is crossplatform. I did some tests
already, and I can grab the contents of the window into memory buffers,
so it seems to me that the best approach would be to push these buffers
through an appsrc element.

Regards,
Andres