[gst-devel] Finding Out Negotiated Caps?

Aurelien Grimaud gstelzz at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 9 20:18:37 CET 2009

Jack Foster a écrit :
> Hi gang!
>
> First, is there an easy way to find out the Caps that are coming out
> of a udpsink block?  I'd like to know so I can statically attach them
> as the input for the udpsrc block in the receiver.
>
> Secondly, I realise that any dynamic negotiation of codecs happens
> outside of rtp but how would I get started if I wanted to do that?

You need a negotiation protocol for your codecs.
Take a look at RTSP for audio / video streaming.
A rtsp client is included in gstreamer (gst-inspect rtspsrc).
There is also a rtsp server written with gstreamer :
http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2008/10/13/gstreamer-rtsp-server/
For telephone communications, SIP would be use.
You then need a sip stack for signaling protocol, gstreamer will be
handling media.