[gst-devel] VST Audio Plug in approach using Gstreamer and Linux OS with ARM Cortex A8 processors

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Sat Jan 10 16:58:54 CET 2009

hi,

thx1138 schrieb:
> On 1/6/09 5:25 AM, "Stefan Kost" <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
>
>> thx1138 schrieb:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are presently using VST as a plug-in for audio applications and the
>>> question came up today is it possible for VST plug-ins to work with
>>> G-Streamer? Our VST's are migrating from PC/Mac Intel host and desire to use
>>> VST approach with Gstreamer for ARM Cortex A8 processor.
>>>
>>> We have Linux Gstreamer as our Linux interface and we are wondering what has
>>> been done in this area already to look at the API interfaces etc.
>> If those are your own vst plugins I would port them to gstreamer. For vst
>> effects you could use GstAudioFilter as a baseclass
>> (gst-plugins-base/gst-libs/gst/audio/).
>>
>> If you want to keep the plugins as they are, you would need to write a brige
>> plugin. It would load the vst plugins as a host an externaly appear as a
>> gstreamer plugin.
>>
>> Stefan
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Terry

> Hello,
>
> I have discovered that VST Plugins can be used with WINE interface to Linux.
> This was done using an Intel and AMD processor. Does anyone have some good
> links to doing the same using ARM 11 or Cortex A8 processors? We are suing
> Gstreamer for our plug-in interface for Multichannel matrix audio decoding
> and post processing.

the wine approach wont help you. The idea behind that is to reuse the plugins
compiles on windows. It emulates the windows api as far as it needed and runs
the dlls. I do this for buzzmachine plugins for gstreamer, pitfdll does this for
windows codecs. If you do this for vst, you could use windows vft plugins under
linux, but only on x86 (and only on 32 bit for 32bit plugins).

If you want to run them on arm, then you need to recompile them. Using qemu
wouldn't give you the needed perormance.

Stefan