[gst-devel] libmpg123 decoder plugin

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 06:47:20 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Roland Poppenreiter <r_poppi at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I hope this is the right mailinglist for this anouncement.  I wrote
> a mp3 decoder plugin with the mpg123 library. One reason is that
> mpg123 has some processor optimization (SSE, MMX, 3DNow, ...) in it
> and should be faster than the mad decoder. I used the mad decoder
> plugin (gstmad.c) as template for my plugin - so they are quite
> similar. I wanted to benchmark both decoders and compare the results
> but I ran into several problems and I got a few questions:
>
>  - sometimes i get a short white noise sound when i start playing an
>   mp3 file with my mpg123 decoder plugin.
>  - short white noise sound appears after seeking as well.
>  - is it possible that data comming from the filesrc is sometimes
>   overlapping?
>  - seeking is not always working, also not with the mad decoder.

Are you using the mp3parse element?

>  - the mad decoder decodes mpg samples to audio/x-raw-int 32 Bit,
>   but most extensions (SSE, MMX, ...) can just handle 16 Bit
>   samples, therefore I would preferre 16 Bit audio/x-raw-int as
>   output for my decoder.

Then output that.

Is that mpg123 library new? If I recall correctly the last time I
tried it wasn't there, I even suggested them to create a library, but
they didn't look too interested.

Another option is to provide an OpenMAX IL API for the library. In
that case the gst-openmax wrapper would be able to use the decoder
transparently.

--
Felipe Contreras