[gst-devel] Linux distro preferred for gstreamer?

Ron McOuat rmcouat at smartt.com
Fri Jan 16 17:30:03 CET 2009

Thanks Florent for your kind advice.

Waking up this AM I realized what has been bothering me about the
Fedora-RHEL versions, not to say bad things about them, they work very
hard to produce a good product that I have been thankful to have for
many years. The realization is during development of something one tends
to need the newest releases. However, no matter how long I wait, a
Fedora release will not seamlessly become a RHEL version without
re-install. If I have to use Ubuntu 8.10 to get the latest then I can
slide that system along to the next LTS e.g. 9.10 for a hypothetical
number and if development is done on that system I can lock it in for 5
years if server or 3 years if desktop. It all stems from the respective
business models of the two organizations.

Your comments on a lighter server based gstreamer are very relevant to
me as well. I have a Ubuntu Server 8.04 machine installed which is very
light but with no gstreamer used for backup. On top of that can be
installed a metapackage to turn it into Ubuntu-Gnome, Kubuntu-KDE or
Xubuntu-XFCE which is a full meal deal, ok Xubuntu is a 3/4 meal if some
desktop features are needed. It should be possible to build a
metapackage that installs the gstreramer plus dependency essentials for
server use. If X is left off the machine then there will be no display
function so maybe it would need an X/non-X version. Of course I may get
caught by other dependencies. When I get closer to completion with what
I am working on I will look into how to build a metapackage. I don't
believe it amounts to much more than a list of the needed components put
into a wrapper.

Ron