[gst-devel] new-segment events on decoders

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jan 30 10:42:22 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a simple application to checksum lossless CD rips and
compare them against a database of known-good rips.

I need to be able to get all decoded samples between two offsets.

I'm assuming that the right way to do this using GStreamer is to
construct a decoding pipeline with appsink, and send a new-segment event
to appsink requesting the bytes I'm interested in.

However, this doesn't work atm.  For starters, it crashes with flacdec.
That was easy enough to work around, but after that it still doesn't
really work.

So, my questions:

- is the approach the right one ?
- why do decoders not handle NEWSEGMENT events in their src_event
handler ? (I checked flacdec, vorbisdec, and mad)
- why does flacdec use gst_pad_event_default as the default handler,
while others seem to just push the event to their sinkpad ?

Thomas