[gst-devel] Cheese, netbooks and resource hungry encoders

Filippo Argiolas filippo.argiolas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:57:30 CEST 2009

Hey all,
I need some suggestion from you video encoding experts.
Recently we received several reports in bugzilla about Cheese not
being able to do live video recording on low power cpus (like atom and
in general netbooks). At the moment we record videos with a pretty
standard pipeline, theoraenc, vorbisenc, oggmux.
Do you have any suggestion about less cpu avid encoders? We used those
ones because they are free but if they don't work it could be worth
adding other options (ideally we'd add DeviceProfiles support when
it'll be in a good enough shape).
I did a quick test with several encoders and it seems that ffenc_mjpeg
with a medium-high bitrate consumes at least 60% less than theoraenc
with default settings. Could it be a good alternative? Any other idea?

Thanks!
Filippo