[gst-devel] Cheese, netbooks and resource hungry encoders

Axel Philipsenburg axel.philipsenburg at hobnox.com
Mon Jul 6 12:49:03 CEST 2009

Hi there,

Filippo Argiolas wrote:
> Do you have any suggestion about less cpu avid encoders? We used those
> ones because they are free but if they don't work it could be worth
> adding other options (ideally we'd add DeviceProfiles support when
> it'll be in a good enough shape).
Did you check the parameters on theoraenc ?
There is the "speed-level" parameter that could
limit the motion vector search, which is a very
time consuming process.

On the other hand, did you use a queue in the pipeline? If
I remember correctly, Atom CPUs (used in many
Netbooks) have Hyperthreading. Thus allowing the
pipeline to multithread might improve the performance
a bit.

I agree with Erik that using a lower resolution will help a lot
too. Scaling the image down with a simple filter such as
bilinear is way faster than the encoding the larger picture.

There are some other encoders that have a smaller CPU
load but they won't generally offer good quality or file
size either.

See ya,

Axel