[gst-devel] change audio buffer duration

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 15:06:06 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 08.07.2009, 12:44 +0200 schrieb Julien Isorce:
> Hi,
>
> I have an avi file which contains audio/x-raw-int (and video, but my
> question is just about the audio).
> There is the caps:
> caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, channels=(int)2,
> width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=(int)48000, signed=(boolean)true,
> codec_data=(buffer)1000000000000100000000001000800000aa00389b71
> and
> (type: 118, taglist, audio-codec=(string)\"Uncompressed\\ 16-bit\\ PCM
> \\ audio\";)
>
> Using identity and -v, I can see that buffer duration is around 10 sec
> and the total is 20 sec.
> So there is only 2 audio buffers.
>
> Is there a gstreamer element that can change or split this buffer
> duration ? (Usually audio buffer duration is about 20 or 50 ms)
>
> There is also the "gst_query_set_latency" but what would be the inpact
> on the video (video buffer duration) ?
>
> Usually I configure the audio latency (=audio buffer duration) when
> using alsasrc, but how to do that with an avi file?
>
> Finally I can see :
>
> Implementation:
>       Has getrangefunc(): gst_base_transform_getrange
>       Has custom eventfunc(): gst_base_transform_src_event
>       Has custom queryfunc(): 0xb7916800
>         Provides query types:
>                 (3):    latency (Latency)
>
> in gst-inspect-0.10 audioresample
>
> So audioresample is able to only change the latency ? any example ?

There's no "audiosplit" element that does what you want, it should be
quite easy to implement though (do you want to do it? :) ).

The latency query is something different though and the latency is not
influenced by the buffer sizes. Simple said it's the amount of time that
is buffered inside the element.

audioresample adds some latency to the pipeline but has no effect on
buffer sizes, instead it changes the sampling rate of the audio.