[gst-devel] How to build example plugin without installing gstreamer

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Jul 12 11:53:32 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 22:48 -0700, Rad E. wrote:

> I am learning how to write a gstreamer plugin. I got the example
> plugin from git, and unfortunately failed to build it -- no gstreamer
> installed. On the machine I am working I don't have root privileges
> and cannot install gstreamer. I downloaded gstreamer and compiled it
> in my home folder. My question is how do I tell makefiles to look for
> those libraries in my home folder? Which config file should I be
> editing?
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated.

You can install GStreamer into your home directory if you
like, no root privileges required. In that case you would need to set
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the pkgconfig directory with the GStreamer .pc files,
and possibly also LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the lib directory with all the
libraries.

If set up correctly,

  pkg-config --cflags gstreamer-0.10

should show the includes in your home directory.

Cheers
 -Tim