[gst-devel] Troublesome identity element

machinegodzilla machinegodzilla at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 14:20:24 CEST 2009

Hi,

WARNING **: identity: could not get in_size

This warning appears whenever I run the following command:

gst-launch filesrc location=clip.mpg ! tee name=t t. ! { queue ! decodebin !
autovideosink } t. ! { queue ! identity ! filesink location=copy.mpg }

Apart from the one in question, which appears first, I also get:

GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_subset: assertion `subset != NULL' failed
GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_caps_is_fixed: assertion `GST_IS_CAPS (caps)'
failed
CRITICAL **: gst_base_transform_find_transform: assertion `gst_caps_is_fixed
(caps)' failed

which keep reappearing as long as the video is being played. Apart from the
errors everything seems to be working fine, both video playback and
recording work fine. The cause of the errors is the identity element. If you
remove it from the branch they disappear:

gst-launch filesrc location=clip.mpg ! tee name=t t. ! { queue ! decodebin !
autovideosink } t. ! { queue ! filesink location=copy.mpg }

I need that identity element in my application to force clock sync, i.e. I
want the recording to be happening at the same pace as the playback, so I
need to know what is going on here. In my application placing the identity
element before the filesink also seems to be causing jerky playback.

Any idea?