[gst-devel] Controlling the buffer size of the alsasink

Paul Fleischer paul at xpg.dk
Sat Jul 18 13:59:44 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I am playing around with a ARM  based development board
(http://friendlyarm.net/products/mini2440).
The CPU is a Samsung S3C2440A (ARM920T) and the codec chip is a
Phillips UDA1341TS.
When using the alsasink it seems that the buffer size is chosen to
small, causing awful playback and maxing out the CPU.
By hacking a bit around in alsasink and using a buffer size of 32768
and a period size of 2048 rather than the default, things work out
very nicely.

So I was wondering: Would it be a good idea to be able to set both the
buffer_size and period_size as properties on the alsasink? Or is the
real problem somewhere in the alsa driver, where it has to be fixed?
Furthermore, I suspect that the buffer_size can be controlled by
setting the buffer_time property correctly, but as far as I can see
there is no way to set the period_time.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Cheers,
Paul