[gst-devel] Scheduling Problem

ved kpl ved.kpl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:20:09 CEST 2009

Have you added the _activate() on pullreader's sink pad?
This function is necessary when activating your element in pull mode,
as I guess by default,  the pads are activated in push mode.
You can implement your custom activate() , which will inturn start the
task on the sinkpad of the pullreader (depending upon upstream
supporting get_range or not), hence operating in pull mode.
for eg. qtdemux_sink_activate() in qtdemux.c

As far as activate_push() is concerned... it depends on whether you
want to start the task on the srcpad of pushreader(like queue) and
push downstream. But in your case the downstream element (pullreader)
does a get_range..

On 7/28/09, kodam naga <raju01e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you for your reply.
> In this pipeline pull element is in middle.
> I added activate_pull in pullreader plugin.
> i am using chain function in pushreader plugin.
> where should i use activate_push.
>
> Thanks
> Nagaraju K
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 5:03 AM, pritesh kumar
> <pritesh.kumar2 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> hi ,
>> i cant predict the exact reason, but according to me the pipeline u r
>> trying to implement is not correct approach.
>>
>> the pull elements should be most upstream , otherwise u have to handle the
>> pad activation functions properly.  activate_push () , activate_pull().
>>

>> Alternatively,
>>
>> the pipeline can be alsasrc  !  pushreader ! alsasink
>>
>> where the pushreader is  a push element .
>>
>> whereas in push reader u can have async data queue , which will receive
>> data from alsasrc and on a separate thread push data to alsasink.
>>

>> let the push reader be a completey push element.
>>
>> or may be this approach alsasrc ! push reader ! queue ! alsasink
>>

>> regards
>> antwan rockamora
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM, raju03e <raju01e at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a newbee to gstreamer. I am trying to explore about push and pull
>>> based
>>> scheduling in gstreamer.
>>>
>>> I wrote pushreader, pullreader plugins.
>>>
>>> In pushreader - sink pad is exposed with chain function, src pad with
>>> set_getrange function. In chain function whatever data got from alsasrc,
>>> stored that buffer into plugin internal buffer. Getrange function is
>>> using
>>> this internal buffer.
>>>
>>> In pullreader – sink pad is exposed with getrange function, it tries to
>>> get
>>> data from pushreader and push that data to alsasink.
>>>
>>> Pipeline is alsasrc ! pushreader ! pullreader ! Alsasink
>>>
>>> When I tried to execute the above pipeline, only getrange is scheduling,
>>> Chain function is not scheduling.
>>>
>>> Please help me to solve this problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Nagaraju K
>>> --

>>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008
>>> 30-Day
>>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and
>>> focus