[gst-devel] How to reduce bitrate of a mpeg2 video

Jan Schmidt thaytan at noraisin.net
Wed Jun 3 21:47:13 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 17:34 +0100, Zaheer Merali wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:19 PM, pcd7 <pcd7 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > With gstream - is it possible to reduce video bitrate without decoding and
> > encoding ?
> >
> > I find that when playing videos with a set top box (sat receiver) the low
> > bitrate (1000 - 2000 kbps) videos playback ok - but higher bitrates do not.
> > I wonder if there is a solution to this problem. Decode and encode is not an
> > option because the process is too slow to be practical.
> >
> > I will be grateful for any advice.
> >
> > Regards.
> > --
>
> No it is not possible.

Sure it is... to some extent. We just don't have any code that currently does it wrapped up in a GStreamer element.

There's code to requantize/transrate MPEG streams out there on the 'net,
where they partially unpack and requantize the stream without doing a
full decompression and recompression. It allows limited shifting of the
bitrate with less computation.

It's "simply" a matter of getting some code like that and wrapping it in
a GStreamer element :)

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <thaytan at noraisin.net>