[gst-devel] [theora] Mozilla & gstreamer

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Thu Jun 18 21:05:28 CEST 2009

2009/6/19 Steve Kann <stevek at stevek.com>:
> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>> 1. An html-based camera + video capture API.  This isn't just an add-
>> on like interface for JS people but also includes preview + style like
>> we have with the html5 video element.  Think of it as a file upload on
>> steroids.  An image interface is easy - just encode to jpg or png or
>> whatever, and upload it.  Video is more challenging and where the
>> opportunity is.  I would like to see us include capture for mac,
>> windows + linux, encode to Theora and upload via the file upload API
>> that we have today.  This brings video production to browsers (like we
>> have text + image production today via blogs, etc.) but also continues
>> the path to make ogg, theora and vorbis part of the underlying
>> structure of the web.
>>

> FWIW, we have a cross-platform capture library, (that we ultimately use
> with theora), which is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/libvidcap
>
> It supports mac, windows and linux.  Presently LGPL, but there are few
> authors, and re-licensing could be possible if there's interest (we'd
> have to make sure we're not depending on or derived from LGPL code).
>
> Unfortunately, it hasn't been widely publicized or adopted, (and we have
> some enhancements we haven't sent out to sourceforge lately, mainly
> because we haven't seen it picked up), but it forms a working library
> that accomplishes the goals you've set forth.

This looks pretty neat:

 * ~10,000 lines of code (about 1000 lines of which is colorspace
conversion, can this be merged with existing code from oggplay?)
 * supports v4l2, quicktime and directshow
 * has timing code for forcing framerate
 * known to work with theora

Perhaps those updates need to be pushed so people can play with the latest code?

Conrad.