[gst-devel] Simple? Using prepare-xwindow-id with xvimagesink

E. Westbrook gstreamer at westbrook.com
Tue Jun 23 05:28:35 CEST 2009

I hope this is an easy one for someone here, and I apologize if I'm asking
in the wrong place.  And please forgive what I'm sure must be a dumb
question, but I'm stumped.  Even just tips of where else to look for the
answer would be gratefully welcomed.

I'm using a simple C program to launch a trivial pipeline with a
videotestsrc sourcing to an xvimagesink.  My demonstration source is at:

http://vps01.westbrook.com/movewin.c

Creating and launching the pipeline from C is easy enough and works fine.
The trick (to me) is that I want it to be placed in an undecorated X11
window at specific screen coordinates, and I'm unable to so far.

>From what I gather from reading everything I can find, for best results this
should be done using the "prepare-xwindow-id" message sent by the
xvimagesink element, and responding with the created window ID using the
"gst_x_overlay_set_xwindow_id()" method of the xoverlay interface.  I'm
doing this, and I do indeed get a request message, and respond to it.

It doesn't seem like a terribly complicated transaction, but it's not
working for me and I'm at a loss as to why.  Try as I might, video appears
in xvimagesink's self-created window rather than mine, with decorations,
anywhere on the screen that the WM feels like putting it.

Would anyone mind taking a quick glance to see what I'm doing wrong?  I hope
it's obvious to someone with more gstreamer under their belt than me.  Also,
when it's working, would a well-documented example of this technique be good
to share on an examples page of some kind?  (Or if one exists already,
pointers appreciated; I couldn't find one.)

Thanks for any help!
E. Westbrook