[gst-devel] gst_main_loop

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 12:26:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 09:57 +0530, Bibin joseph wrote:

> >> Is it possible to interrupt the gst_main_loop after it has started
> >> running? Should I stop this loop first, in order to change my pipeline?
> >>
> > (...)
>
> I want to edit my pipeline after it has started playing. For example,
> imagine,  I want to mix a video file to an already playing  stream. How
> can it be made possible?

Dynamic pipelines are still a bit tricky to do, but should be possible
(depends a bit on the elements involved). You'll need a bit more
knowledge of GStreamer internals than you would need for a non-dynamic
application, to take care of pad blocking where required and inject
newsegment events and somesuch if needed. I believe there is a document
in our design document section about dynamic pipelines.

However, with videomixer you should just be able to plug your new source
element/stream into the pipeline and then request a new sink pad from
videomixer and link that to your new source/stream, I think.

In any case, you do not have to stop any main loops in your app for
this.

Cheers
 -Tim