[gst-devel] The best way to control a plugin from application?

joh joh.vlcdev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 23:19:49 CEST 2009

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the quick and precise answers.

I have another fundamental question.  When should I use g_signal_x or
gst_message_x in my plug-in to emit a signal? I guess only difference at the
application is handling the signal at specific callback function or bus
message handler.

The gstreamer app. developers' guide said, bus message passing is
asynchronous to pipeline. Which means time critical operation should not be
controlled through bus messages. Then, what about the g_signal_ ? Does it
guarantee the synchronization between pipeline and application? (execute a
callback function within the pipeline thread?)

I am very new to linux and gobject programing. Please teach me.

Thank you,
Jusitn