[gst-devel] Firewire cameras with DirectShow

Julien Isorce julien.isorce at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:02:01 CEST 2009

2009/6/29 Julien Isorce <julien.isorce at gmail.com>

> 2009/6/29 Phil Rendell <philrendell at gmail.com>
>

>> I also tried setting the lowres property of ffdec_dvvideo to 1/4 size to
>> see if that would make a difference, but again, no luck, which leads me to
>> believe that it's not a problem with decoding the stream.
>

> Ok maybe ffdec_dv and ffdemux_dv are poor quality.

I have downloaded pond.dv   video sample file from
http://libdv.sourceforge.net/

Then:

with lastest gstreamer git, on linux

[fail] gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=pond.dv ! ffdemux_dv ! ffdec_dvvideo
! xvimagesink
[fail] gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=pond.dv ! dvdemux ! ffdec_dvideo !
xvimagesink
[fail] gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=pond.dv ! ffdemux_dv ! dvdec !
xvimagesink
[success] gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=pond.dv ! dvdemux ! dvdec !
xvimagesink
[success] ffplay pond.dv

So "ffmpeg" can play it but "gst-ffmpeg" cannot.

>> It's just a shame there's not a windows port of libdv, otherwise I could
>> try building dvdemux. I don't know if there's anything else I could try?
>

> You could ask libdv mailing list if someone has already tried to compile or
> port libdv on win32.
> You could try by your self to compile libdv using msys and mingw. (maybe
> it's already ported)
>
> (http://libdv.sourceforge.net/)

It seems that libdv cannot be compiled with mingw:
see: http://www.nabble.com/dv-support-on-windows-td20035798.html

(note that there is a win32 port for pthread)

Julien