[gst-devel] GStreamer presets (feedback requested)

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue Jun 30 18:30:00 CEST 2009

Michael Smith schrieb:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Christian Fredrik Kalager
> Schaller<uraeus at linuxrising.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have been working for a while on defining GStreamer level presets
>> based on the current plugin level preset system. The general document
>> for those presets can be found here:
>> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/PresetDesign
>>

> After some discussion on IRC, I finally figured out what the presets
> are actually _for_ - I initially totally misunderstood.
>
> So to clarify:
>  - the profiles are ONLY to map some specific known profile names to a
> set of property values for a particular element, so that if you have
> two different encoder implementations (which both support the same
> basic semantics, but have different property names, or different
> units, etc.) you can set things up without knowing the specifics of
> the encoder.
>
> They're NOT for providing a drop-down of different encoding settings
> in your application, or anything like that. There are a number of
> major problems with trying to use them for that purpose (which is what
> I initially thought they were for). Your application still has to
> provide that layer entirely.

In buzztard I use the presets like in the second case. Soft-synths and
effects have a sidebar with a list of setting. Thas also how e.g. the
equalizer plugin uses them.

one alternative for the presets in the encoder scenario would be gobject
interfaces for encoders. openmax il attempts to do that in a way by
specifying default properties each e.g. mpeg4 video encoder needs to have.

Stefan