[gst-devel] GIT repositories

Prajnashi S prajnashi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:26:44 CET 2009

FW this discussion to community.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM, bilboed <bilboed at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, all of the gstreamer modules are in git.
> >
> > But here are some pros and cons for moving EVERYTHING into those
> > repositories.
> >
> > Pros:
> > * We don't have to use several repositories
> > * We can make sure the auto-generated files are up to date (the same
> > way we do it for win32)

Yes, that what I want to say.

If we maintain two repo (gst android and gst formal), we have to rebase
android repo after desktop release. In addition, we have to merge bug fix,
enhancement, performance improvement submitted to android repo back into
formal release. It's a tiresome work.

> > Cons:
> > * I don't think it's very wise to be using gstreamer git head
> > (constantly being developed) for embedded development.
>
> Have a 'stable' branch. Note that the name 'branch' is misleading
> because it would actually be on the same patch as the 'master' branch,
> except not updated that often. I could point to the last release for
> example.
>
> > * The auto-generated files and Android.mk files might need to be
> > slightly different per target/setup.
> > * People might not be too keen on having Android-specific files/build
> > in GStreamer (Android.mk, auto-generated files, etc...)

That why I drop all auto generated files into an anroid directory.

> Put them in a separate branch. Debian people would probably not like
> RPM stuff either, so there could be 'debian' and 'rpm' branches.
>
> If GStreamer doesn't want these branches in the official repo, then
> they will happen in some other repo.
>
> > After all... it's git, so our repositories will be 'extra remotes'
> > that you can use with the official gstreamer repositories (and
> > therefore, you could easily rebase the android-specific branch against
> > the current git head and give it a try).
> >
> > Let's first get some repositories out there, then we'll have a much
> > clearer picture of what can happen.
>
> Yes.

Yes. Good idea.

> --