[gst-devel] CPU performance issue with ffenc_h263

Ion Scerbatiuc delinhabit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 08:52:28 CET 2009

Hi!

I'm developing a client/server application in which an important part is to stream live image from a webcam or other video device.
I created a pipeline with fakesrc -> ffmpegcolorspace -> ffenc_h263 -> rtph263pay -> udpsink on the server side and another with
udpsrc -> rtph263depay -> ffdec_h263 -> ffmpegcolorspace -> fakesink on the client side.
The reason I used fakesrc and fakesink is because I need to push RGB frames from my aplication to the pipeline and on receiving side
use RGB frames.
My issue is a CPU usage of 40%+ for a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz just for the encoding thread(s). I tested other Video Streaming or Video Conference applications and all proved a 5-6 times smaller CPU usage.
Does anybody encountered such issues? Am I doing something wrong?
This is a big issue and I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Ion Scerbatiuc