[gst-devel] Debugging memory allocation

Daniel James Laird daniel.j.laird at nxp.com
Wed Mar 11 19:42:55 CET 2009

I have a really weird problem.

I connect a pipeline up as follows:

demux -> queue-> audio_sink
      -> queue ->video_sink

And it runs for a while but then stops, when I look at my memory usage it seems to be huge and very close to 0 free.
If I then use mtrace (it works wuite well on an embedded system) I get loads, I mean loads of
'memory not freed addresses'

If I replace my sink with a fake sink I still seem to get a similar behaviour I was wondering how do I trace/debug memory allocation (buffer allocation) in GStreamer.
I have tried
export GST_DEBUG=GstBuffer:*
and it did not help

any advice/clues on how I can debug why my memory is being eaten, as I have removed my sink from the equation I can only presume mtrace is not as useful and therefore I need to be able to use Gstreamer debugging to help identify any memory leaks in my sink code

Hope someone can help
Daniel Laird