[gst-devel] Saving a RTSP stream

Jyoti D jyoti.d at allaboutif.com
Fri Mar 13 12:05:18 CET 2009

Hi all,

I have a problem saving the rtsp stream to a file. In my case GStreamer's
RTSP server streams a file with H.264 video AAC audio.

On the client side I am using the below pipeline to save the rtsp stream
into a file.

gst-launch rtspsrc location=rtsp://192.168.1.195:8554/alien.mp4 name=d d. !
rtph264depay ! qtmux name=mux ! filesink location=~/Desktop/sync-rtsp.mp4
sync=true name=f d. ! rtpmp4adepay ! mux. f.

The pipeline never ends & the file content is '0'.

One more strange thing I found was when I save only video content the file
is saved properly. And once try playong from the saved file it plays at much
higher rate. The below is the pipeline I use to save video content only.

gst-launch rtspsrc location=rtsp://192.168.1.195:8554/alien.mp4 name=d d. !
rtph264depay ! qtmux name=mux ! filesink location=~/Desktop/sync-rtsp.mp4
sync=true name=f

But when I try saving only audio content by replacing rtph264depay to
rtpmp4adepay the file has again zero contents. It works if I am taking off
the mux element. But when I try to gst-typefind on the saved file it pops an
error saying "FAILED: Could not determine type of stream."

Could someone tell me what might be the problem & what would be the correct
pipeline to save a rtsp stream..

Thanks,