[gst-devel] _Py_RefTotal missing warning

Ron McOuat rmcouat at smartt.com
Mon Mar 16 07:03:04 CET 2009

I am running Ubuntu 32 bit 8.10 with all patches on a Toshiba laptop. I
updated to the latest Gstreamer build in launchpad to test what I use
from the latest freeze. When running any Python program with Gstreamer
calls I get the following error. Prior to that I was using the Dec 2008
build from this area. I would use the standard Ubuntu modules but am
working with some recent changes I need for development.

As an example for a program that is published on the web

ronm at ronm-laptop:~/Dev/python-examples$ ./example-8.1.py

(example-8.1.py:7698): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin
'/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpython_d.so':
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpython_d.so: undefined symbol: _Py_RefTotal

with an example program from the Python tutorials, this one is at
http://pygstdocs.berlios.de/pygst-tutorial/webcam-viewer.html

This happens for all Python programs using GStreamer that I have tried
so far.

All but 2 files in /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10 are dated Mar 9-12 2009 one
being bluetooth which I am not using and the other is Schroedinger BBC
Dirac codec modules.

It is only a warning, the program does actually run. From what I gather
this is a global object reference counter in Python. It also looks like
a debug version of the library that is trying to come in. Should a check
for and remove the debug version of gst-python?

Thanks

Ron