[gst-devel] using ORC for g729 documentation

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:36:25 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 22:17 +0200, Gibro Vacco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some notes about the opensource g729-compatible codec (with gstreamer
> elements) I posted some weeks ago on this mailing list.
> First of all, I've seen, Laurent Glayal has posted another
> announcement aboput a parallel project in the meanwhile.. I wonder if
> a join could be possible.

  Definitely, but what does Laurent Glayal's version adds compared to
the existing ones ? Also, where is it hosted ?

> By the way, reference code is _heavily_ unoptimized in many points,
> especially in the arithmetic operations emulation (64 bits
> multiplication, division, etc) which, I guess, aren't covered from any
> copyright nor patents.
>
> I'd like to rewrite those operations in an optimized way using ORC.
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to find so much documentation about this
> interesting project and, before starting "shooting in the dark", I'd
> like to know where I could gather any additional information.

  ORC is part of liboil. I'd recommend checking it out and having a look
at the examples. The git version of libschroedinger can use orc if
available.
  ORC is still in active development AFAIK, but maybe David Schleef can
confirm/infirm that statement,

    Edward