[gst-devel] Summer of Code Idea: P2P Streaming System

ting zhao huijidaxiang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:36:11 CET 2009

Hi

2009/3/19 Manuel Alejandro Cerón Estrada <ceronman at gmail.com>

> Hello.
>
> I want to participate in the Google Summer of Code this year. I have
> an Idea, but I'm not sure which mentoring organization would be the
> most appropriate. I would like to ask you what do you thing about this
> project and if you think is suited for GStreamer.
>
> I want to develop a streaming media system based on a peer-to-peer
> network. The motivation is to solve the problem of high bandwidth
> usage in current unicast media streaming servers based on a
> client-server architecture. Using a P2P network, where every node is
> both a server and a client is possible to distribute the bandwidth
> usage among the whole network. This approach is already used by file
> distribution systems like Bittorrent. I want to adapt the same idea
> for a live content media streaming system.
>
> Currently, there are various P2P media streaming systems. Only few of
> them are open source, but they are based on simple, inefficient, tree
> topology. I want to build a system based on mesh topology and
> swarming. There are various recent papers with architecture proposals
> for this.
>
> I'm working on this topic for my theses/graduation project. In my
> project I will work with simulations, but I thought that it would be
> great if I could implement a real system and test it. Summer of Code
> is a great opportunity for this, I participated the last year and I
> had a lot of fun. If you're interested I can show you the  project
> proposal I send to my University, It's in Spanish, but I can translate
> it. It details the current state of the art of p2p streaming systems
> as well as architecture proposals for new systems.
>
> For this project, I want to use GStreamer, Python,  C (if necessary)
> and Twisted. This tools are the same used by Flumotion, maybe I can
> work with that project in some way.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments.
>

> [...]

Fantastic idea.
however, it seems that writing a P2P system by two bare hands in the summer
is not a easy task.
The core of P2P streaming system is the overlay network and data schedule
algorithm, so use NS2/3 to make a simulation is also an operational way.

as to me, since I am farmilar with TS and PS format, I want to write a
plugin for Gstreamer in this summer, and I am reading the plugin write
guide.
Looking forward any potential mentor give some suggestion.

zhao ting