[gst-devel] video sink to update OpenGL texture?

Andres Colubri andres.colubri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:28:41 CET 2009

Hi, I have been following this discussion with interest and I just
wanted to add a couple of comments/questions.

I'm currently combining opengl and gstreamer within my application.
Right now, the gst-originated video buffers are pushed out of the
pipeline with a handoff signal, and then uploaded to an opengl texture
for further gpu-accelerated processing and final display on the
application window.

But it would be quite great if I can just get the gl texture id from the
gst-plugins, for instance glupload, and then directly use the texture
inside my application.

Since my app is cross-platform (linux, win, osx), the composite
redirection approach doesn't seem viable. The XOverlay interface won't
work either, because I need to do some gpgpu post-processing before the
actual image rendering.

 From what I read, one alternative (perhaps the only one under this type
of scenarios) would be to share the opengl context between the app and
the gst gl-plugin. Basically, the app would create the opengl context
and then pass it to the plugin when initializing the gst pipeline.

Is this possible in the current implementation of gst-plugins? If not,
wouldn't be an useful (additional) method for setting up gl-accelerated
pipelines?

Thanks,
Andres