[gst-devel] GSoC proposal: Improving GStreamer on Windows and Mac

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:55:10 CET 2009

> A few comments:
> don't include Mac in the headline, if you don't plan to cover it :)

Andrés is actually working on the Mac installer and it would be nice
to include it in the GSoC project. The problem with macports and
GStreamer is that some plugins depends on GTK, which adds an important
overhead when you have to package everything. Our idea is to remove
these plugins to reduce the size of the final package.

>> My proposal for the GSoC to improve GStreamer in Windows is based on
>> this points:
>>
>>    *Create a script to automatize the creation of a build environment
>> to compile GStreamer on Windows. The goal of this script is to fetch
>> all the external dependencies that provide pre-compiled binaries and
>> developers files  (as for GLib, pango, speex, etc...) or build those
>> that doesn't. This script will also fecth and patch the GStreamer
>> sources (some plugins needs small fixes to compile under MSVC, for
>> example)
>>
> please file bug for those and attach patches. Maintaining patches as
> part of the build procedure should be very intermediate only.
>>    *Migrate all the existing Visual Studio projects to codeblocks
>> which is Free Software and can be used with many C/C++ compilers (GCC,
>> MSVC, Borland, etc..)
>>
> please add a link to codeblocks.

The Code::Blocks home page is: http://www.codeblocks.org/
Julien Isorce is also using this IDE for gst-plugins-gl

Andoni