[gst-devel] GSoC proposal: Improving GStreamer on Windows and Mac

Julien Isorce julien.isorce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:55:02 CET 2009

Hi,

2009/3/25 Andoni Morales <ylatuya at gmail.com>

> >> please add a link to codeblocks.
> >
> > The Code::Blocks home page is: http://www.codeblocks.org/
> > Julien Isorce is also using this IDE for gst-plugins-gl
> >
>  I forgot to mention that Code::Blocks can also be used to compile
> GStreamer in Mac OS X and to cross-compile GStreamer in Linux

I like codeblocks but the best choice is to use CMake. (
http://www.cmake.org/ )
It's the most easiest, usable, viable, extensible etc... build system known.
Qt and KDE are using it now.
CMake can generate codeblocks projects and more.

CMake is cross platform. It can generate those things:

Unix Makefiles  = Generates standard UNIX makefiles.
CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
KDevelop3 = Generates KDevelop 3 project files.
KDevelop3 - Unix Makefiles  = Generates KDevelop 3 project files.
Borland Makefiles  = Generates Borland makefiles.
MSYS Makefiles   = Generates MSYS makefiles.
MinGW Makefiles  = Generates a make file for use with mingw32-make.
NMake Makefiles   = Generates NMake makefiles.
Unix Makefiles  = Generates standard UNIX makefiles.
Visual Studio 6  = Generates Visual Studio 6 project files.
Visual Studio 7   = Generates Visual Studio .NET 2002 project files.
Visual Studio 7 .NET 2003 = Generates Visual Studio .NET 2003 projectfiles.
Visual Studio 8 2005  = Generates Visual Studio .NET 2005 project files.
Visual Studio 8 2005 Win64  = Generates Visual Studio .NET 2005 Win64
project files.
Visual Studio 9 2008  = Generates Visual Studio 9 2008 project files.
Visual Studio 9 2008 Win64  = Generates Visual Studio 9 2008 Win64 project
files.
Watcom WMake = Generates Watcom WMake makefiles.
CodeBlocks - MinGW Makefiles= Generates CodeBlocks project files.
CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles = Generates CodeBlocks project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - MinGW Makefiles = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - NMake Makefiles = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.
Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles = Generates Eclipse CDT 4.0 project files.

CMake can also generate XCode projects, and "darwin makefiles" but I have no
Mac machine to copy/past the output of cmake --help.

I am also using it in gst-plugins-gl. So I can help.

Moreover, CMake can generate installers [?]

Windows is so horrible when a project is big and has a lot of dependencies.
(as a lot of projects are).
Every software on windows comes with their own glib/qt/png/etc... dlls. It's
just like anarchy.
MSYS thought to be the solution of this but still unix mind in this. Windows
just need a packaging tool ( like apt) and "depo" servers. And because it's
on windows, this tool would be GUI only [?].
We could start a such project.
Anyway it's an other subject.

CMake power !

gl & hf