[gst-devel] dvbsrc/dvbbasebin problems

Zaheer Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Wed May 6 20:06:02 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Krzysztof Adamski
<krzysztof.adamski at korbank.pl> wrote:
> I'm trying to play streams (at least FTA) from my DVB-S card using
> gstreamer but after couple hours of testing i'm still having problems.
> Hope someone can help me..
>
> First I was trying to get video using dvbsrc.. it works when i'm saving
> it to file with following pipeline:
> gst-launch-0.10 -m dvbsrc adapter=0 frequency=10719000 pids=163:92 \
>  polarity=v symbol-rate=27500 ! filesink location=/tmp/1.ts
>
> Now i'm able to play the file (with smooth video) using:
> gst-launch -m filesrc location=/tmp/1.ts ! mpegtsdemux es-pids=163:92\
>  !  mpeg2dec ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink

You should not use es-pids, instead you should make sure you always
record the pat and pmt inside the ts also.

> So far it's good, the problems starts when I'm trying to watch live
> wideo. I'm using following pipline to do that:
> gst-launch-0.10 -m dvbsrc adapter=0 frequency=10719000 pids=163:92 \
>  polarity=v symbol-rate=27500 ! mpegtsdemux es-pids=163:92 ! mpeg2dec \
>  ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink

Same as above.

> The video is shown but it is not smooth.. it shows 1 frame, then it
> stops for a while (sometimes half of secound, sometimes 2 seconds, it
> depends) and play another frame.. sometimes it works fine for a second
> or two and then stops again and so on.. Any ideas on why it's working
> like this?
>
> I have also tried using dvbbasebin with slightly changed pipline (using
> program-numbers instead of pids):
> gst-launch-0.10 -m dvbbasebin adapter=0 frequency=10719000 \
> program-numbers=4404 polarity=v symbol-rate=27500 \
> .program_4404 ! filesink location=/tmp/1.ts
>
> While running that i'm getting some messages from mpegtsparse0 with eit
> and sdt elements but and the file /tmp/1.ts seams to contain only this
> packets (it has 8kb after a minute of playing and viewing it in ghex
> shows this are MPEG packages with some text information about channels).
> Is this EPG or something? Why there is no video?

set GST_DEBUG=dvb*:5 and then run your dvbbasebin pipeline again with
stdout and stderr redirected to a file, ctrl-c after 5 mins and send
me the file.

Most likely you have set the wrong program number (equivalent to
service id or sid) for the channel you want.

Zaheer