[gst-devel] Post-release freezes (was: Re: [gst-cvs] gst-plugins-base: theoradec: rearrange code in preparation for 422 and 444 support.)

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon May 11 10:52:21 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 08:51 +0100, Jan Schmidt wrote:

> Do I need to make the modules read-only when they're frozen, or do we
> need to change the release process in some way perhaps? I've thought of
> doing releases from a branch and cherry-picking blocker commits as they
> come in, so that people can keep committing to trunk. The disadvantage
> of that is that I'm pretty sure that I'll be 1 of maybe 2 people who are
> testing the actual codebase that's going into the tarballs.

I like the way we do things currently. I think master should stay frozen
during releases for exactly the reason that otherwise absolutely no one
will test the code that's going into a release.

> Something needs fixing, because even after 15 months of this release
> process, it seems someone does this every cycle.

Maybe it just needs to be communicated a bit more clearly? Maybe

 - the IRC channel topic should say that the modules are
   still frozen and when they unfreeze

 - the release mails should be followed by a mail to gstreamer-devel
   saying in the subject line that the models are still frozen

or something like that? (Sure, people should know, but still ...)

 Cheers
  -Tim