[gst-devel] GstBaseDecode class

Iago Toral Quiroga itoral at igalia.com
Thu May 14 07:57:01 CEST 2009

El mié, 13-05-2009 a las 19:10 +0300, Stefan Kost escribió:
> itoral at igalia.com schrieb:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been developing software on top of gstreamer for some time and now
> > I would like to get a bit more close to its internals. With that in mind I
> > started reading the plugin developer guide and implemented a few audio and
> > video transform plugins to play around with the main concepts.
> >
> > Lately I've been looking for something that would let me learn more and at
> > the same time be helpful to the project, and I found a page with some
> > tasks here:
> >
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/TaskList
> >
> > I think writing base classes would let me achieve both targets, on one
> > hand, one has to read an understand how other plugins of a certain type
> > work in order to create a base class for them, and on the other hand,
> > having base classes would be obviously useful.
> >
> > Even though I have no experience whatsoever writing source/sink/codec
> > plugins, I would like to propose myself to work on this. Actually, out of
> > curiosity, I started looking at the code of the mpeg2, ac3 and mad
> > decoders and wrote a base class for a decoder based on these. Of course,
> > this is far from being anything else than some preliminary code, I have no
> > experience whatsoever in writing decoder plugins, so I am sure that I am
> > missing many things, but I think it could be a good start.
> >
> Cool. Its a good project. Can you share your code. Have you actually
> refactored the decoders on the baseclass already? I wonder how much
> reusable code you found.

Yes, but it is something very basic yet. I will file a bug and upload
what I have there, maybe someone with more experience can take it from
that point if it is worth it.

One thing is that I was trying to refactor code in a generic decoder
class suitable for both audio and video decoders, while it is obvious
that you may be able to get some extra common behavior if you specialize
the class for audio or video decoders in particular. David's  work that
Edward pointed out seems to be more focused on a video decoder and that
helps with getting more code refactored although it seems that both
audio and video decoders also share some common structure.

Iago