[gst-devel] [Announce] gst-gengui 0.1 : live interaction with pipelines

Florent fthiery at gmail.com
Thu May 21 18:04:04 CEST 2009

Hi

> Does the project also have (or plan to have) functionality similar to
> the gst-editor program (which appears to be unmaintained, or only
> minimally so)? For instance, visually constructing a pipeline by
> dragging lines from source to sink, then get an output gst-launch
> pipeline description.

Not really; it's main use case is the following:
- prototype a gst-launch pipeline
- once working, just replace gst-launch by gst-gengui, and you should
now be able to manipulate the properties

> gstmanager has a "nice" build system, if you can call it that -- at
> least it installed into the right directory.

I am truely sorry about the packaging, it's my first trial at it.
Improvements of the installers are on their way.

> In the case of gstmanager, its setup.py script was able to correctly
> do 1) and 3) for me; that is, it installed it into
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gstmanager. In this case it seems to
> work fine, even though I'm using a 64-bit Python interpreter on a
> 64-bit kernel.

I didn't test it on a 64 bit system. Thanks for your feedback.

> 1) The default GUI looks like this: http://tiyukquellmalz.org/gst-gengui.png
> Is the top part of the window (empty) supposed to have something in
> it?

Yes, it is intended as the placeholder of video previews. This tool
has been originally needed for testing live bitrate modifications for
video encoders. For every xvimagesink that is in the pipeline, it will
be added to this very area. I will try to remove this space for
non-video pipelines.

> 2) When changing the pipeline description in the text field, the list
> of element properties isn't updated, when you click Refresh, if you
> insert an erroneous pipeline. And the GUI doesn't indicate a problem.
> For instance, I tried to add a 'pitch' element without realizing that,
> for some reason, my distro doesn't ship this element in
> gst-plugins-bad :) So I almost reported that this feature doesn't work
> at all, until I tried adding an audioconvert instead -- THAT worked.
> So the "normal" path (changing the pipeline, hitting Refresh, where
> the pipeline is valid) is fine, but the error path is a bit cryptic.

Ok, i will try to catch errors and add some error popup then.

> This is a cool developer tool... I'll keep my eye on it :)

Thank you very much :) Very appreciated. I posted your remarks in the
issues tracker, expect some fixes soon.

Cheers

Florent