[gst-devel] gst-launch hangs after displaying first frame

John Buckley buckleyassoc at comcast.net
Fri Nov 6 06:10:55 CET 2009

Hello,
I seem to be having a pretty common problem.
My gst-launch command executes and starts the pipeline properly with no
errors.  Then displays a single frame and the video freezes.  There are no
errors and it appears that the pipeline is still running.  Ctrl-C pauses the
pipeline properly and then everything cleans up nicely.

I read on this mailing list that the jpegdec element only decodes one frame
and that I should use the ffdec_mjpeg element.  So I did.  Same problem.
According to that same mail thread this is not true and the individual was
able to eventually get his streaming working using jpegdec.

So, I am stuck.  These are the commands that I have tried with a couple of
slight variations.  Does anyone have any ideas?

gst-launch v4l2src ! image/jpeg,width=320,framerate=30/1,rate=30 ! jpegdec !
ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink
gst-launch v4l2src ! image/jpeg,width=320,framerate=30/1,rate=30 !
ffdec_mjpeg ! ffmpegcolorspace ! ximagesink

Thanks,
John Buckley