[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg and problems with seeking

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Sat Nov 7 01:16:31 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Baek Chang <breakchange at gmail.com> wrote:
> So ffmpeg_demux is not the recommended choice for mp3 demuxing?  I am using
> my own decoder to decode the mp3 files.  There are licensing issues with
> mp3parse because it is in gst-plugins-ugly correct?  Are there any other mp3
> demuxers that are available with better licensing?

Oh, if you have your own decoder, then you should _certainly_ use mp3demux.

Things in -ugly MAY have licensing issues - it's up to you to find
out. Things in gst-ffmpeg usually have licensing issues, however -
you're certainly not avoiding anything by using ffmpeg there. In
general, licensing-wise, gst-ffmpeg is much worse than
gst-plugins-ugly.

In the particular case of mp3parse, I don't (and everyone I've
discussed this with agrees) think that there are any licensing issues
- but like anything in the world of multimedia, you may find it better
to consult a lawyer. I doubt you'll find anything with better
licensing.

Mike