[gst-devel] Academic research on programmers' motivation

Mark Pith mark.pith at student.uva.nl
Sun Nov 15 16:44:13 CET 2009

Dear Gstreamer developers,

We are researching the motivation factors of Open Source software
programmers and would like to ask your cooperation in our large-scale
research. The research is performed for the Amsterdam Business School of
the University of Amsterdam. Your participation would consist of
completing an online survey to which we have linked below. Your
participation is completely anonymous and the research publication will
be freely available, including the results of the survey.

The goal of the research is to better understand the motivations
software programmers have for joining and contributing to an Open Source
project. The insights gained from this research would help the
development of theory for Information Management and could help
practitioners better understand Open Source projects. Next to this, the
publication of this research will increase the exposure of the
development of Open Source software within the academic environment.
Please follow the link to the online survey.

We highly appreciate all responses to this invitation. So far it seems
that most respondents contribute to projects distributed under the GPL
or BSD (derived) license. We would love to see more respondents from
projects that are released under other licenses such as the LGPL
license.

Our test audience has shown that completing the survey will take about
15 minutes. Your time is highly appreciated by us.

http://bit.ly/Survey_Developers_Motivation

Kind regards,
Dr. Thomas Adelaar
Mark Pith

PS If you reply to this message, please include mark.pith at student.uva.nl
as CC for a faster response.
-This independent research is not related to the Gstreamer project.-