[gst-devel] Gran Canaria meeting notes

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Nov 26 19:55:41 CET 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 16:21 +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> == GStreamer 1.0 ==
> Possible items:
> * Easier installations for other platforms
>   - Windows and OS/X installs

I'd definitely be interested in making Totem and Rhythmbox work better
on MacOS X (for which I actually have test machines).

<snip>
> == Supporting KDE/Qt better ==
> * Need examples of GMainloop/QtMainloop examples
> * Widget examples
> * applies to OS/X and Windows too - provide more platform example code

Should some parts of Totem's video widget be moved into playbin2, or
something on top of playbin2?

There's things like:
- logo handling (a "rest" image for the movie player, and the main way
to show errors in the browser plugin)
- Parts of the missing-plugins code (Totem offers to play video with no
sound, but not the contrary, Totem's audio preview, as used by nautilus,
will play the sound even if the video can't be handled)
- Better error reporting
- Tags, subtitles and audio tracks handling
- Seeking based on time
- Handling of tick signals
- Make it easier to test whether a sink is available
- Setting visualisations needs a lot of trickery
- Get/Set video output properties (contrast, brightness, etc.)
- Capturing a single frame from a video

I'm pretty sure a lot of those should be playbin helper functions, and
we could shrink Totem's 7k LOC of a video widget.

I'd be happy to start moving some of those into gst-plugins-base, if
somebody tells me where I should add them.

Cheers