[gst-devel] Request for comment (GStreamer team): release date for GNOME 3.0

Andre Klapper ak-47 at gmx.net
Fri Nov 20 13:31:10 CET 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 19.11.2009, 13:26 -0800 schrieb Michael Smith:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
> > Vincent, we're not ignoring you :) We kind of have business as usual in Gst
> > land. After guadec it became somewhat quiet around the 1.0 discussion. Now we
> > discuss some more and March seems tough from my point of view. I hope other core
> > devs reply as well.
>
> More than just the timing, I think it's that there's a lack of
> consensus in the GStreamer community that there's any reason to move
> to 1.0 - whilst we have a list of things we'd change, they're all
> relatively minor, as far as I know, and it's a disruptive API change -
> that the net benefit would be positive is far from clear.
>
> I think it's very clear that a GNOME 3.0 release in March would not
> include a GStreamer 1.0 - but that's not a bad thing, we don't think
> there's anything too major wrong with the 0.10 design. September might
> be possible if there was consensus over that being a worthwhile goal
> to aim for - however, GStreamer is very widely used _outside_ the
> GNOME platform/desktop, so we wouldn't want to do so solely to be part
> of the GNOME 3.0 plan.

It was decided already that GNOME 3.0 will take place in September 2010
and that there will be a GNOME 2.30 release in March 2010:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2009-November/msg00001.html

However, your feedback is definitely appreciated and helpful to get the
broader view, also with regard to marketing.

andre
--
 mailto:ak-47 at gmx.net | failed