[gst-devel] Gran Canaria meeting notes

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Nov 27 17:28:39 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 15:30 +0100, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 27.11.2009, 12:19 +0000 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
>
> > So, where would I move all this code? :)
>
> I guess gst-plugins-bad/gst-libs/gst/gtk would be a good place to
> start :) Btw, David Schleef has started a convenience GTK widget library
> too but it disappeared after the fd.o disk failure. You might want to
> coordinate with him.

The point is that most of the functionality isn't GTK+ dependent. Is
that folder supposed to exist or was that an example?

> > >   Err... because we're doing seeking based on
> > bananas-per-square-mile
> > > right now ? What do you mean by that ?
> >
> > Huh, being thick :)
> > The code in Totem doesn't make use of it, but it's available, I should
> > change Totem to use that now...
>
> Erm, in what unit does totem seek right now? Time is the only thing that
> works in most cases :)

Was tired when I wrote that I guess. It already does time seeking, never
mind...

> > >   what do you mean by that ?
> >
> > Right now, I need to poke at the running playbin a couple of times a
> > second myself. It would be easier if playbin itself had a tick signal,
> > and handled emission itself.
>
> You only need this to get updated positions, right? IMHO that shouldn't
> be in playbin2 and should instead be there where it's needed: in the
> widget :)

Never said it needed to be in playbin, but it shouldn't need to be
handled solely by the video widget...

> But great that you like to work on abstracting something like totem's
> bvw into some library :)

Less code in Totem means less code for me to maintain, hopefully, which
means that I can focus on functionality instead.