[gst-devel] Gran Canaria meeting notes

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Sat Nov 28 16:06:11 CET 2009

Bastien Nocera wrote:

>>> But great that you like to work on abstracting something like totem's
>>>
>>> Less code in Totem means less code for me to maintain, hopefully, which
>>> means that I can focus on functionality instead.
>>>

>> +1
>>

>> I started a Gstreamer media player for Xfce, the player is still under
>> developement, of course i used some of totem's code in it, so this
>> player will also benefit for the proposed changes.
>>
>> The project web-page:
>> http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/parole
>>

> I have 2 questions about your media player:
> - Why? The only thing Totem depends on that's not XFCE-ish is GConf,
> dependency which will be removed as soon as dconf bits are available in
> glib.

That's a question about my motivation of writing this player, nothing to
do with dependencies, i'm not going to post my motivation here, but the
idea is to have a GStreamer alternative to xfmedia (xine based), and not
to clone Totem with no gnome dependencies, i started learning GStreamer
by reading aldegonde, totem's and other GStreamer players code, but at
the end i didn't use the bacon video widget here, the backend that i
wrote is something different but of course inspired from totem/aldegonde...

> - Your license is incompatible with Totem's license,
I really don't care about licenses, but also i don't understand, the
license of the player is like totem's one (GPL2), but the only one
exception is i have no installer for missing proprietary GStreamer plugins.
> which means that
> any fixes to Parole you won't be able to get into Totem.

I'm not sure what do you mean, i don't think Totem will benefit from a
fixes in Parole, probably the other way round.

> Cheers

Cheers,
Ali.